Skip to main content

A Letter to Walter

Welcome to my Action Project for my Core class Drama. In this Unit, we have been studying the south side of Chicago and what it was like in the older times. We had two FE guests brought in to teach us about what they know. Our first FE guest was Regina Holloway. Our second guest was Joel Hamernick. Throughout the term, we have been reading different plays in each unit. This unit, we read A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry. For this Action Project, we have written a letter to Walter trying to convince him whether to buy the new house or to sell it. We had to write this play from the perspective of a person mentioned in the play. I personally chose to write as Travis, Walter's son. This is the last action project of the entire school year. I hope you enjoy and see you next year.



Dear Daddy,

This is Travis. I know that I am young and my opinion isn’t a big factor for you buying or selling the house. I still think that you should keep the house. First, this house is all the joy left in our lives. Second, this is a great opportunity for me to find new friends my age. Third, we might be able to change the white people’s minds about what they think of us.  “You wouldn’t understand yet, son, but your daddy’s gonna make a transaction…a business transaction that’s going to change our lives…” (Hansberry; 566, Act 2). You said this to me, but it went bad. I don’t want you to make the same mistake by taking this house from us too.

First of all, this house is what made us happy in our very upsetting lives. This new house is what grandmama wants in life. If you were to sell it, it would ruin her view of you forever. I know how important your business is to you, but it is nothing compared to what your family is to you. Mama said; “If you a son of mine, tell her!  You…you are a disgrace to your father’s memory.” (Act I, scene ii). Mama said this to you because you had done something to upset her, now imagine if you were to sell this house. Don’t do it.

Second of all, this is a house that is in a new neighborhood, with new kids my age. This is a great opportunity for me to find people that I can hang out with. Plus, the last school I went to was very boring. It is also a very nice neighborhood where you can meet new people to help with your liquor store. “Mama: There is always something left to love. And if you ain’t learned that, you ain’t learned nothing.” In my eyes, this move is a good opportunity for me and every one of us. So, I think the idea of moving into this neighborhood is a good idea.

Last, I think that moving into this white neighborhood will maybe change the way that they see us. We have the opportunity to not just live in a new house but a new way to change the hearts of people. If at least you and I can make white friends than we can start to make a change. “…Most of the trouble exists because people just don’t sit down and talk to each other…That we don’t try hard enough in this world to understand the other fellow’s problem. The other guy’s point of view.” I know that I would never agree with Mr. Lindner because you don’t like him, but this is what I am trying to say.

See daddy, we should move into the house. One, this house is very important to us and it is what brings us joy. Two, this is a great place for me to find new friends and people to hang out with. Three, moving into this neighborhood can change the hearts and minds of our new neighbors. “I’m thirty-five years old; I been married eleven years and I got a boy who sleeps in the living room – (very quietly) – and all I got to give him are stories about how rich white people live…” (Hansberry; 535, Act 1)  I heard you when you said this and I want to see what new life I can be given. This house is what you can give to me.

Your son,
Travis.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cardboard Camera?

 This is an Action Project for my core class Light, Sound, and Time. During this Unit, we learned all about light and how it works. We also learned about how light is a part of the visible spectrum. This is a spectrum that shows the types of waves/rays that are on earth. The visible spectrum is also how we see colors. This has also helped us better understand what light is and how we use it to take pictures. For example, when you take a picture using a camera, light is used to leave a image captured onto a surface. For this project, I was tasked with making a camera from a tissue box. The camera I made is called a Camera Obscura. This camera takes light and through a little hole pastes the image onto a piece of parchment paper inside of the camera. As you can see below, those photos were taken from inside the camera when held up to a light. It also shows what the camera looks like and how it turned how after creating it. Pinhole of Camera Obscura/CJH/2021 Image of Light in Camera/CJH/2

Drawing for 12 Hours with Only a Pen

 This is a project for my core class Endurance. For this project, I spent twelve hours doing one thing. This class was all about what is endurance? We started the course by defining endurance and looking at historic people who had to. endure something for a specific amount of time. I spent time trying to figure out what you need in order to endure something for a period of time. In order to endure something, you have to be strong-willed, unbreakable, and willing to face hardship and know that it won't be fun or pleasant. So what is endurance? Endurance is being able to push through a hardship/inconvenience. Being able to endure something is one of the hardest things in the world. Especially when it isn't something you choose to do. Forced endurance is something that many people throughout history had to go through. A specific example we looked at was Ellie Wiesel and how he and his family and his whole culture was tortured and killed over the span of years. Ellie lost all of hi

What is a Hysterectomy?

Welcome to my blog. This is an Action Project for my core class Cure. In this unit, we have been at home talking about cells, what they are, and what they are made up of. We have also taken the time to look at different types of surgeries. Also, we had two special FE guests join us through Zoom and teach us about themselves and what they know to help us get a clearer understanding. The two guests who joined us were Dr. Neeraj Jain and Kellee Athens. For this assignment, we were tasked with interviewing someone who has had any surgery performed on them. For the interview, I chose to interview someone about the surgery they had done. The surgery that was performed was a Hysterectomy which is the removal of the uterus. I have put together a slideshow below explaining all of the risk factors, side effects, and much more detail on how the surgery is performed. "No dietary restrictions. I was super groggy and just slept a lot. I was in the hospital for 1 or 2 days. It took me a week to