Skip to main content

Agoraphobia Is Scary

This is a blog post for my second Action Project for my core class Disease. This class is about diseases, both physical and mental diseases. We have been studying different diseases and a couple main ones we have been looking at are Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). We also learned about the DSM-V. The DSM-V is a Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. So it shows you all about the mental illnesses in the manual.

For this action project, I had to choose a disease from the DSM-V and study it. The disorder I chose was Agoraphobia. Agoraphobia is the abnormal and persistent fear of public places or open areas, especially those from which escape could be difficult or in which help might not be immediately accessible. My definition for it is the fear of crowded places without being able to find a way out. In the panic disorder/agoraphobia spectrum, several studies appear to converge on effects in the amygdala, Adenoid cystic carcinoma, insula, and lateral prefrontal cortex, but also for occipital brain areas a.k.a. the right side of the brain.

We were also tasked with creating a simulation of the mental illness for our classmates. Below is the video of my classmates reacting to my simulation and the slideshow I used in my presentation. there is also a flyer that I made for my disease to explain the disease more.




CJH. Agoraphobia Flier. 2020.

The topic of the Lesson: My disorder Agoraphobia.


Purpose of the Lesson: To give my peers empathy for my disorder

Minute
Activity
Students are...
Teacher is...
Dominant 
Brainwave
1
A quick summary of my disorder
Listening to my summary.
Giving a quick summary of my disorder
Alpha
2
Introducing activity
Listening to my instructions.
Blindfolding a student and explaining to the rest of the class privately that they need to surround the blindfolded student and start gently pushing him around.
Beta
3
Activity
Surrounding the blindfolded person and pushing them around.
Watching to make sure no one gets hurt.
Beta
4
Explain the connections with activity and disorder
They sit back down and listen to how the activity relates to the disorder.
Calm them down and tell them about how the disorder relates to the activity.
Alpha
5
Go through slideshow
Listen to me talk about the disorder more.
Talk about the disorder while flipping through slides.
Alpha
6
Conclusion
Listen to me finish out the lesson quietly.
I end the lesson by asking the blindfolded student if he felt the effects of the disorder during the activity.
Alpha
7
Questions
They ask questions that I can answer relating to the disorder.
I ask if anyone has any questions and answer the ones people ask me.
Beta
Below is an example of Piecewise Functions.

CJH. Piecewise Function. 2020

In this project, I feel as if this disorder should be addressed more and also more people should learn about it. If you know someone with Agoraphobia, don't make them go somewhere that is packed with people. If you are at a packed place with someone who has Agoraphobia, ask them if they are okay every once and a while. If they are getting uncomfortable take them to a place in which they are comfortable. If you have Agoraphobia and you want to help yourself, start going to filled places and slowly you will get more and more comfortable with crowded spaces.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cardboard Camera?

 This is an Action Project for my core class Light, Sound, and Time. During this Unit, we learned all about light and how it works. We also learned about how light is a part of the visible spectrum. This is a spectrum that shows the types of waves/rays that are on earth. The visible spectrum is also how we see colors. This has also helped us better understand what light is and how we use it to take pictures. For example, when you take a picture using a camera, light is used to leave a image captured onto a surface. For this project, I was tasked with making a camera from a tissue box. The camera I made is called a Camera Obscura. This camera takes light and through a little hole pastes the image onto a piece of parchment paper inside of the camera. As you can see below, those photos were taken from inside the camera when held up to a light. It also shows what the camera looks like and how it turned how after creating it. Pinhole of Camera Obscura/CJH/2021 Image of Light in Camera/CJH/2

Drawing for 12 Hours with Only a Pen

 This is a project for my core class Endurance. For this project, I spent twelve hours doing one thing. This class was all about what is endurance? We started the course by defining endurance and looking at historic people who had to. endure something for a specific amount of time. I spent time trying to figure out what you need in order to endure something for a period of time. In order to endure something, you have to be strong-willed, unbreakable, and willing to face hardship and know that it won't be fun or pleasant. So what is endurance? Endurance is being able to push through a hardship/inconvenience. Being able to endure something is one of the hardest things in the world. Especially when it isn't something you choose to do. Forced endurance is something that many people throughout history had to go through. A specific example we looked at was Ellie Wiesel and how he and his family and his whole culture was tortured and killed over the span of years. Ellie lost all of hi

What is a Hysterectomy?

Welcome to my blog. This is an Action Project for my core class Cure. In this unit, we have been at home talking about cells, what they are, and what they are made up of. We have also taken the time to look at different types of surgeries. Also, we had two special FE guests join us through Zoom and teach us about themselves and what they know to help us get a clearer understanding. The two guests who joined us were Dr. Neeraj Jain and Kellee Athens. For this assignment, we were tasked with interviewing someone who has had any surgery performed on them. For the interview, I chose to interview someone about the surgery they had done. The surgery that was performed was a Hysterectomy which is the removal of the uterus. I have put together a slideshow below explaining all of the risk factors, side effects, and much more detail on how the surgery is performed. "No dietary restrictions. I was super groggy and just slept a lot. I was in the hospital for 1 or 2 days. It took me a week to